Saturday, September 14, 2002

Jaded



[can't take credit for this one, it's a mickey the rat original]



There are flies in my apartment

Little tiny flies

They fly slow and are easy to kill

Flies in my sink, on my mirror and window sill

I don't know how they got in

Or what they're looking for

But if it's food they want, there's more upstairs

Or next door

Maybe it's because there's plenty to drink

Maybe that's why I've got flies in my sink



And no matter how much I clean

How I dust, scrub, scrape, sweep

There'll always be more flies next week

When I get my check and pay my rent

When I think about all the money I've spent

The money I've saved

The hours I've slaved

Working overtime to buy a nine dollar bottle of wine

Busting my ass

And then I see six flies resting on the lip of my glass

And I wonder:

Should I be angry that there are flies in my sink, on my mirror and window sill?

Or should I be glad that they're slow and easy to kill?



Should I be glad that I bought a new c.d.?

That I got my last oil change for free?

That I recently acquired cable t.v.?



I don't want to sound jaded

I don't want to sound jaded

But I've got thirteen vacation days and nowhere to go

My car needs new tires and I don't have any dough

And when I skip my shower to make work by nine

When the clock strikes five, I yell:

"Now it's time to do something that MATTERS!"

But there's not enough time

Not when I have to be at work by nine

And I feel dirty

And my toilet still won't flush correctly



Should I be angry that there are flies in my sink, on my mirror and window sill?

Or should I be glad that they're stupid and easy to kill?

0 comments:

Post a Comment