So I poured more epoxy, then sanded it off only to find that the epoxy wasn't perfect. Those pesky bubbles created holes, holes, and more holes! As the epoxy would slowly seep into the cracks, and continually get harder and harder, bubbles would form and freeze before reaching the top. Then when I'd sand down the epoxy and sand right through a bubble leaving a bubble hole.
I was protected when sanding the epoxy off, don't want to breathe in those chemicals. I also snuck some earbuds underneath my hearing protection to keep me entertained while I battled the belt sander.
Dad got some belt sanding action as well.
Here's a close up of one of those knots all filled in and roughly sanded
After exposing the holes/cracks left, it was back to pouring more epoxy in those small bubble holes and forgotten cracks. I even tried using a credit card to squeegee the epoxy, which only created a mess.
look at all those little dabs of epoxy, there were lots of holes!
Here's a close up of the swimming pool, named by my dad. This was a very low point in one of the slabs. Instead of cutting the rest of the wood down so that the entire surface was flat, we decided to try pouring epoxy in the low part. We've never worked with epoxy before, so this was yet another guess. I sure hope things work out with this one.
Pouring epoxy is not only hard work, but there is sacrifice involved as well. In this case I got a picture of the sacrificial bee. I've heard stories of woodworkers pouring epoxy in cracks and unknowingly capturing an insect or spider. It looks nifty but is usually unintentionally done.
link to part 11