Thursday, December 18, 2008

i'm losing my edge

lcd soundsystem has a few songs that just make me smile. when tracks like daft punk is playing at my house, yr city's a sucker, and all my friends start playing on my ipod i have to listen to them through to the end.

one song i've always had quite a strong affinity for is losing my edge.

the song starts out mellow, and simple. james murphy starts off talking about the kids, and how they are coming up -surpassing him. and you feel that this song is about james losing his edge. until he says "but i was there". that's when one eyebrow raises and you wonder, is this song really about him losing his edge?!

"I'm losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks."

slowly he talks about how he's old, and not 'cool'. but he gets it. and the kids who think that he's losing his edge, still think he's losing his edge.

I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

the song is just under 8 minutes long. you didn't notice it, but ever so gradually the music and the vocals are picking up steam.

"I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know."

the song continues to crescendo, and the lyrics start to mention artists, locations, and events that shaped the music we have today. the picture is painted so clearly towards the end of the song. james, who's never clean shaven, probably cuts his own hair, and has the physic of a computer programmer standing over a skinny tattooed 22 year old wearing tight pants, a tight vintage 'ironic' shirt, and neat accessories from european countries, a hipster.

and then it ends. the song soothes out, and you realize that there's no hate here. this isn't in the same fashion of tupac vs. biggie. this is simply a demand for some respect.

"But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent.
And they're actually really, really nice."

0 comments:

Post a Comment